I know it may sound a little 'old fashioned' but I am what is commonly referred to as a 'doorstep baby'. I know in this day in age its more common to toss them in the dumpster, or even invest in a good coat hanger and abort the thing themselves, but apparently my parents had some fraction of morals. So on a random doorstep I lay, to be found by just another family who wanted nothing to do with me, and that very instant I was scooped up and taken to the local foster care facility/orphanage. It was there that I spent most of my adolescent life. during the course of 16 years I've had 3 sets of foster parents. I have been interviewed by several prospect parents willing to adopt, but there were about 140 other children interviewed as well and I'll admit, I was a little hyperactive as a child, and not very good looking.
I was home schooled all the way up until around my sophomore year of High School. I have also eaten in a mess facility (mess hall/lunchroom type deal) for every meal of my life until I was 16 and able to move out on my own. I also have crooked pinky fingers (although, I dont feel like pinky is the proper nomenclature for that digit... It always feels weird when I type it out professionally, like I should be calling it something else...). According to x-rays, this is NOT a birth defect, but I still have no recollection of them breaking at any instance of my life. A guidance counselor at the foster care told me that often times parents will cut a childs hair line or arm to leave a scar before they abandon them; something they can look for and watch their child grow from a distance kind of thing and keep track of them... If thats the case, I'd still think that someone with the gall to break an infants pinky fingers wouldnt be in they're right mind or have the sense to leave me on a doorstep, vice dumpster.
This deformity interestingly came into play when it came time to pick an instrument to learn how to play. I tried the flute at first, and then the clarinet.. Fail. Finally, I picked up some drumsticks, and that was it. I have playing the drums for 17 years now and have been in several bands, a few of which have made it quite big for a short time, but thats for another entry I suppose. Being in a band is also what sparked me meeting a certain love interest that would soon be the first of a series of heartbreaks and also the ultimate reason I joined the Marine Corps when I was 19.
I recently ended my eight year contract with the marine corps a couple months ago and things couldnt be going smoother. I feel that I have accomplished everything I wanted to in life in those last eight years and there is nothing else in life I could really learn... That is except a college education now.
OMG...is my 1st reaction to your blog. I'm a mom/grandmother and I just want to give you a hug! I am sorry you had the childhood you discribed. You may never know why your parents did what they did, but you are certainly not a throw-away person! Each of us have a value and a purpose in life, everything happens for a reason. You severed this country to the best of your ability and for that we owe you a debt of gratitude...thank you!
ReplyDeleteWow after reading your blog I feel kind of bad for putting my parents on blast. But again I have to remember there is always someone out there who is worse off then me. My parents decided to do drugs when I was growing up so that's where my bitterness comes from. But giving your circumstances I would stay you have done well for your self. I commend you for serving our country and good luck in your future endeavors.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have made it a long way from the start of your childhood.You were given a chance to be here with us and it is nice you are sharing your story with the class. It takes some courage!
ReplyDeleteHey Johnnie,
ReplyDeleteYor story makes me think. My husband and I were never able to have children and we never adopted either. I have several friends that adopted and they couldn't be happier,one in particular, she looks like her adopted parents, it truely os amazing.
My fear with adoption was that parents may come back and want the baby, like baby ritchie, do you reacall that case. Several years ago little boy was adopted by a set of parents and the father came back and took him at 7 years old. Evediantly the mother was pregnant and never told the dad, these adoptive parents had baby ritchie for 7 years and I watched it on thenews how they had to pry that pour child out of his adopted mothers arms. Screaming and crying, it was heart breaking. I could not tak that chance, I would be devastated. My child gone, that to me was so wrong. to make yhings worse, after the biological parents got back together they divorced, this poor child has really been through the ringer. They took him from a perfectly good home, and ruined his life.
Alice